Friday, May 18, 2012

Facebook Passwords: Employers and Schools Demand Access; Facebook and Senators Respond - ABC News

Facebook Passwords: Employers and Schools Demand Access; Facebook and Senators Respond - ABC News

Somewhat fitting, this comes to you a mere day after a release by the unnamed company that I work for.

I say unnamed to protect both myself and this unnamed company.

I must also note that my opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the unnamed company I employed by, nor am I a representative of said unnamed company.

So I went into work yesterday and there is an announcement waiting for us on the company's HR weekly release.   The announcement that caught my attention was a section dedicated to social media networking.  The company goes through a spiel about being careful what you post (duh), but also about the above disclaimer.  I will make mine universal.  I go to work and I come home.  Outside of work I do not represent whatever company I work for, I represent myself.  I would kindly respect that unnamed corporations should also refrain from representing me outside of said working hours.  I want it noted that their opinions and beliefs do not necessarily reflect those of this writer.

The announcement encourages you to "like" them on Facebook. 

As I am a firm believer of separating my private life from work life, I shall decline.

I wonder if said unnamed company had looked into the bad publicity recently in the news regarding employers attempting to either demand passwords, or imply that you have to grant them access to your private Facebook account in some way or other.

So, to said unnamed company, should you search my name on Google and find this blog, or should one of my backstabbing coworkers turn this link over to you, please understand that as a Free and Independent person, I refuse to represent you outside of working hours.  Also, please note that my opinions do not reflect your opinions and I prefer it that way as my opinions are my own.  Please stop trying to control or gain access to parts of my life that have no relevance or bearing on work schedules or hours.

And for corporate tools everywhere who tolerate these actions, shame on you.  People throughout our history have fought and died to ensure we keep our freedoms.  Oh, sure, we're not going to get arrested for saying what we want about the places where we work, but your opinions and independent thoughts or your desire to publicly share those thoughts and opinions should not have weight over your job unless you are sharing said thoughts on company time. 

Remember, "All Tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."  - Thomas Jefferson.

"This is how the world ends / Not with a bang but a whimper." - T.S. Eliot.

What will you do?  Whatever they tell you?  Or will you do what you think is right?  Are you a corporate tool?  Or are you an individual who demands her privacy?

No comments: